Monday, February 9, 2009

Tim Bishops response

This is the response I received from Tim Bishop on the topic of FOCA. Bishop needs to hear from his constituents who are pro life. He is our representative and if you want him to stand for life then you must make him aware of your views.




February 9, 2009

Dear Ms. Kelly-Pospisil,

Thank you for expressing you views on the Freedom of Choice Act. It is important for me to have the benefit of your views, and I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

I recognize the deep feelings that accompany views on both sides of the abortion debate. As a practicing Catholic, a husband, and a father, I have spent years thinking about the issue and respect the diverse opinions Americans hold on this issue.

As the Congressional representative for Eastern Long Island, I strongly believe that women in America must have the legal right to choose an abortion, with the advice of their doctors and trusted confidantes. Legislating the outcome of this decision would be an undue intrusion on the rights of women, as well as the confidential relationship between doctor and patient. Furthermore, outlawing the operation will not end the practice of abortion in America, but rather force it underground and expose women to unacceptable health risks.

I share your concerns about late-term abortions, and have said that I would support a ban on late-term abortions if it includes an exception that encompasses the life and the health of the mother. Public laws should not attempt to overrule a doctor's professional judgment on crucial medical decisions regarding a patient's health.

I must balance a broad range of opinions when considering legislation that will affect the lives of millions across America. In the 110th Congress, the Freedom of Choice Act was considered in the House Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should this legislation be considered by the full House of Representatives in the 111th Congress.

Thank you again for sharing your views. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. For more information and to find out about other important issues that I am working on in Congress, I encourage you to visit my website at www.timbishop.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter.


Sincerely,

Timothy Bishop
Member of Congress

TB/js


No comments:

Post a Comment